Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Character Dining

My Favorite Character Dining Experiences

I've had a lot of people ask me about Character Dining.  It is my favorite way to experience dining at Walt Disney World.  I don't think you can go wrong with this type of dining especially if you have kids.  Of course, I still enjoyed it before I had kids so kids of any age really enjoy it.  This is my order of the top ten Character Dining experiences.  It was not easy to decide and some could possibly be a tie with one another.

10.  Mickey's Backyard Bar-B-Que
I've only been to this event one time.  It is a special character dining that is not offered all the time.  They had wonderful food with a buffet of bar-b-que and all the fixings.  The entertainment was good as they have square dancing and the characters come out for a dance or two.  It was a little difficult maneuvering around all the people who were eating versus those who were trying to make it to the dance floor.  

9.   Akershus Royal Banquet Hall
I like this for the experience of being in a castle setting.  I also like that you get to see a lot of princesses in a small space so you get to talk to them and they are very friendly.  I also like that you get to have your picture made with them and it is actually included in the price of the dinner.  You never know what princesses will be in attendance but it is worth attending.  The dinner is part buffet, part ordering off the menu.  Your appetizer and salad is at the buffet table and then you order the main course off the menu.  Your dessert is a plate full of items to try for your table.

8.  O'hana Breakfast
Characters include Lilo, Stitch and Mickey dressed in Hawaiian attire.  I have not attended this breakfast but I am a huge fan of the Polynesian Resort so I would probably move it up the list once I try it out.  I've heard that it is a great buffet with Hawaiian flavored sausages and Island style potatoes.  I have been to this restaurant for dinner which is great but no characters.  Just the sounds of waterfalls and the Hawaiian breezes that flow through this resort hotel make you feel as if you are actually in the tropics.

7.  Tusker House Restaurant Breakfast
We went to this Donald Safari and loved it.  It was nice to walk through the Animal Kingdom before the park opened as our reservation was very early.  We had a great breakfast with plenty of choices and lots of interaction with the characters dressed in their safari attire.

6.  The Garden Grill
How can you go wrong with a restaurant that rotates and delivers hot family style food to your table?  Not to mention the fact that Mickey looks so incredibly cute in his overalls and Chip and Dale usually have mischief up their sleeves!  The food was delicious as most of it is fresh from The Land at Epcot.

5.  The Crystal Palace
This is probably my husband's favorite buffet.  It is a must visit each time we go.  It has a great selection of foods for both kids and adults which probably explains why it is so popular.  Expect a wait for this place even with your dining reservation.  It is obvious that everyone loves Pooh and his friends.

4.  1900 Park Fare Dinner
We love this place!  The dinner includes Cinderella and Prince Charming along with the wicked stepmother and the two stepsisters.  The conversations with these characters are delightful to say the least.  I was smitten when Prince Charming told me I was looking lovely.  If you need some enchanting face time with Cinderella, this is my top recommendation.

3.  Cape May Cafe Breakfast
This is another one that I need to check out but I rated it high on the list because I have been there for dinner and was very impressed.  It has excellent service and the food is wonderful.  The characters here include Donald, Goofy and Minnie which are 3 of my favorites.  This bright and colorful place is a great way to start off your day!

2.  Cinderella's Royal Table
This place is extremely popular and I highly recommend that you call or get online as soon as you are 180 days out.  You will not be disappointed with dining in Cinderella's castle.  Another one that I would mention here is the My Disney Girl's Perfectly Princess Tea Party.  It is one that I definitely want to check out on my next visit.  Both Princes and Princesses receive special gifts when attending this event.

1.  Chef Mickey
For breakfast or dinner, this is an all-time favorite restaurant.  The Contemporary resort is very exciting to visit with the monorail continually traveling through the hotel.  The fabulous 5 characters are always in attendance and you get to do a little dancing with your napkins high in the air.  This place might be busy, but you are guaranteed to leave with a smile on your face!  This is my top pick for a true Disney Dining experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment