Wednesday, May 15, 2013

My mother's heart exposed

There was an article this week about how people are abusing the Assistance pass at Disney Parks.  For those of you who are unfamiliar with this pass, it allows for visitors with a disability or illness to be allowed to enter the Fastpass line or the handicapped entrance at certain rides or attractions.  I have personally had a conversation with a Disney representative concerning this issue.  My concern was that I had been made aware of the abuse and worried Disney may get rid of the pass with the installation of the new Magicband.  The representative assured me that they were aware of the abuse and they would not punish those who need it just because there are unfortunately some bad apples out there.
Our family uses the pass because we have a child with an Autism Spectrum Disorder and Apraxia of speech.  I've joked with friends and family, the only benefit that I've ever found to this diagnosis is the Disney assistance pass.   It's pretty truthful.  I hate to be negative but between the speech issues, social issues and learning disabilities, Disney is one of the only places I can escape and feel "normal".   Disney cast members respond to my child.  They wait patiently for him to get the words out.  The Disney chef's come to our table and personally tell us all the food items we should stay away from due to his serious peanut allergy and eczema.  Occasionally, a chef will make us a special side item or dessert to make my child feel special.
It reminds me of the story in the Old Testament of the former King Saul's grandson (Jonathan's son), Mephibosheth, who was brought to the current King David's table to be allowed to eat at the king's table.  He was crippled and even though he was royalty, he had been an outcast.  Disney treats kids who have disabilities or illnesses as if they have been invited to dine at the King's table.  They are offered privileges that help them deal with life a little easier for those few precious moments they are at the Disney Parks.
I hate that it is being abused but I know since the beginning of time, good things will always be abused.  I also have full confidence in Disney's creative team and know they will figure out a way to creatively and effectively take care of those Disney guests who will continue to need and value this service.  Disney realizes long lines are not magical for any guest.  They are continually working to implement effective ideas such as Fastpass, single rider options, parent-swap, and now the new Magicband.

4 comments:

  1. Your blog looks great! I have a son with Apraxia so that is how I found you!! We love Disney too!! We live in Canada and have been two Disneyland twice with our children. Next, we hope to head to Disney World. Your blog will be a wealth of info for us! Thank you for taking the time to share!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Michelle. Let me know if I can put together a quote for you to Walt Disney World. I'm glad you like the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for writing this blog post. We are Disney lovers. We have been so many times that I can't even keep count. (seriously) But now because of the cost of therapy for our youngest with apraxia, dyspraxia, SPD, hypotonia and hyperkinesis, our trips aren't as frequent. The guest assistance pass has made the Disney trips that we have made magical for our family, without it....we could have never made it through a day much less a couple of hours without tears. We call Disney the best therapy because we somehow have gained words and sounds there ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your encouragement. I hope that therapy will be needed less in the months to come. I have heard countless families say Disney is good medicine.

      Delete